Tuesday, December 18, 2012

When there's nothing you can say.



This post is difficult for me to write, mostly because I just don't know what to say.
What is there to say following something as tragic as the shooting in Connecticut last Friday?
Actually, there's plenty to say. And a lot to be discussed. 
But I don't really feel right pontificating about gun control or mental health
or any of the hot-button issues currently flooding news articles and my Facebook newsfeed.
I think we do need to reexamine gun control laws and we absolutely need
to make mental health care more accessible and less stigmatized. 
And, most importantly right now, we should remember those who were killed as people,
not just victims, and we should allow their families time to grieve the loved ones
they lost without forcing them to serve as a platform for change.
But if I can't write about that, then what do I write?
I can't ignore or downplay what happened.
I can't post a photo of my outfit or tell you a story about some ridiculous thing the dogs did.
That just seems inappropriate. Frivolous. Irresponsible.
So, this is what I've written. 
Mostly nothing...
But I think sometimes nothing is really all you can say.

My thoughts and prayers to all involved. 

1 comment:

  1. There's definitely nothing that can be said that hasn't been said already. I've never cried over a situation like I did on Friday. Especially upon learning that the kids were my Daughter's age. I hate that out of all of this, everyone wants to make it about gun control. I have so many opinions on that...but I feel like now is not the time to discuss these things. We're not even a week out of the tragedy. I feel like people should hold their political opinions to themselves for a while.

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you tell the pups how cute they are.
...but seriously, thank you so much for stopping by and for your wonderful comment! I read them all and try to respond as often as I can. We hope you visit again soon :)