Thursday, September 6, 2012

This is what it looks like when you're missing a front tooth.

You know it's going to be a mildly terrifying dentist visit when your doctor begins by saying, 
"I think we're going to try to get everything done today without numbing you."
Say what?!
Since the procedure for the day included removing my fake tooth and filling some cavities, 
I very much wanted to respond with, 
"In that case, I think I'm going to jab you in the eyes so you won't see me when I
run far, far away and never come back again."
Instead, because her hands were already in my mouth (I should have bitten them),
I nodded complacently. 
Before I knew it, she'd yanked out my bridge and I hadn't even noticed.
That is, until she said, "We'll fill the cavities, too, I just need to stop all the bleeding first."
Bleeding?! I'm bleeding?!
It seems my gums didn't appreciate the trauma of all the yanking
and scraping and drilling. Who would have guessed?
But finally, I was fitted for my new flipper
(essentially a retainer with a fake tooth attached and no visible wires)
and I was sent out into the world looking like either a five year old or a hillbilly. 
And I get to sport this lovely look for TWO WEEKS. Two. Weeks.
I understand if you can't take me seriously anymore.
I can't stop laughing at myself, either. 

26 comments:

  1. Agh! I would die!

    Before I could get braces on when I was in school, they had to put a device in the roof of my mouth that had to be 'cranked' every night...and what it did was widen my mouth b/c it was too small (my Daddy didn't believe that). I had to walk around for weeks with like a mile gap between my two front teeth. It was terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't. Stop. Laughing.

    You're fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. This story seriously makes me cringe...I can't stand the dentists...yikes!

    Good luck with your missing tooth...that sounds no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. too funny. With your new flipper you could be on Toddlers & Tiaras :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. I can't stop laughing but at least you are having fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just like the old days! :) Flipper...haha I'm going to send you a tiara and a pacifier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha oh my! this is too funny! at least you're having fun with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh. i would wear a sign around my neck saying i have taken on the silent challenge or what ever its called when crazy people dont talk for weeks. this is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha I'm dying right now. This is hysterical. Props to you, I'd become a hermit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! I love how you're taking this but I would seriously take those days off if it ever happened to me :(

    xo,
    janmloves.blogspot.com
    I'm having a giveaway on my blog if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bahaha. You are so brave. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. My. Gosh! You poor thing. At least you can laugh at yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you totally should have bitten her hands.

    I adore the photos, too. ten points for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. bahahaha!! Thanks for sharing.. and glad your are embracing your "new" look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As the daughter of a dentist, prior flipper wearer, and future dental hygienist I think you look great with a missing tooth!! You flaunt that open contact girlie!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha! absolutely love these pictures and am so glad you posted them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAHA great pics! At least you have a great fun attitude about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha "a five year old or a hillbilly." I kind of died at that.

    I really really really really hate the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahhaha omggggg. I chipped a tooth in 6th grade, but this doesn't even compare. Sorry for laughing. But. This is great hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i literally have nightmares about my teeth being pulled out or falling out... but you my dear... you are rocking this! and I seriously must applaud you for posting this. best of luck being taken seriously in the next couple weeks! :]


    seriously... so awesome!!! :]

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahahah thanks for sharing :) I had a good laugh!! I hope it won't hurt when you go back. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG...That sucks!! I would definitely be stuck inside during those two weeks; no way would I be able to go out in public. Hope the time goes by quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two weeks seems like a really long time, but good for you for keeping such a great sense of humor about it!

    ReplyDelete

This is the part where you tell the pups how cute they are.
...but seriously, thank you so much for stopping by and for your wonderful comment! I read them all and try to respond as often as I can. We hope you visit again soon :)